Sunday, October 5, 2014

Flat Tail Brewing Company - Tailgater Kölsch Style Ale

Beaver approved?
Come on, weather! Hey, I'm not complaining--well, yes, I am--but I'm ready for some cool fall temperatures! Dangnabbit, if it isn't 81 degrees here in my living room...at 6:PM...on October 5th! Come on! I'm ready for some tasty winter brews, but not today. No, this unseasonable heat has me reaching for a thirst quencher.

I blame Al Gore. He wasn't satisfied with inventing the Internet. Oh, nooooo! He couldn't stop there. Bastard had to go and invent Global Warming, too! Damn you, Al Gore! DAMN YOU! (Of course, I'm joking. Everybody knows bug-eyed aliens cause Global Warming. Jeesh!)

This evening, I'm drinking a bomber of Flat Tail Brewing Company's Tailgater Kölsch Style Ale. The label proclaims this beer to have an ABV of 5.5%. It was brewed with Wyermann Pilsner Malt and German Tettnanger Hops. Seemed like a nice hot weather beer and the price was right at $3.49 for the 22 ouncer.

This beer poured into my glass a slightly hazy, golden yellow color with a bright, white head. The head rose up to two fingers thick and dissipated quickly. No lacing was left behind. Pinpoint carbonation rose up from the bottom of the glass throughout the entire drinking session.

Aroma was light, lemony citrus. Grass, hay. Light, pilsner malt aroma in the background.

Taste followed the nose. Lemony citrus. Herbal notes. Light, bready, biscuity malt. Mildly peppery. Nice hazelnut flavor in the mix.

Medium to thin mouthfeel with good carbonation. Crisp, clean finish. The flavors dropped off rather quickly, but another sip brought it all right back.

Overall, this is pleasantly flavorful, refreshingly crisp drink. Perfect for a day like today. I like! I'm giving Tailgater a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment