Monday, October 6, 2014

Flat Tail Brewing Company - Mustache Rye'd Red Ale

Something's punny around here...
In a previous post, I discussed how difficult it must be for craft brewers to keep coming up with unique, interesting names for their brews. I often imagine bearded, Carhartt-wearing dudes hunkered over work benches, wort bubbling all around them, racking their brains for AWESOME names for their latest and greatest concoctions. Of course, it seems some don't even try at all, sticking with simple style names as monikers for their beers: i.e. India Pale Ale, Red Ale, Cascadian Dark Ale, etc. Others just number their beers, which seems just about as lazy as you can get when it comes to brewing nomenclature.

Most brewers seem to understand that a catchy name will implant itself firmly into the deep, dark recesses of beer consumers' minds and, if successfully engineered, help that brew make it's way into shopping carts. Arrogant Bastard is one famous name that immediately comes to mind. Brash, slightly naughty, and absolutely memorable.

Tonight, I'm drinking a beer with a name that got a "tsk-tsk" from my significant other. Flat Tail Brewing Company's Mustache Rye'd Red Ale is definitely memorable, as most double entendre tend to be. Come on, don't act coy! You get the possibly "dirty" double meaning of this name! Hey, I'm no prude. It's a punny name, to be sure. But in the end, I don't really buy beer for the name. I buy it for the taste. How did Mustache Rye'd do in my personal taste test? (Insert crude comment here.)

The beer poured into my pint glass a hazy, deep, dark reddish brown color with a tan head. The head rose up to a full finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A full cap of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was mild citrus hops and overripe dark fruit. Floral and herbal notes. Earthy malt.

Taste was a good dose of hops bitterness up front with a very noticeable dry, spicy rye flavor punctuating the entire drink. Really nice! I like it when the rye is present and accounted for, as advertised. Hints of coffee and dark fruit in the background. Herbaceous. Earthy without tasting like earth.

Medium mouthfeel with lower carbonation. Finish was a bit creamy at first and ended with a dry note. No noticeable alcohol in this 8% brew. I like!

Overall, this is a really nice beer. It's definitely different and something I would absolutely buy again. I'm giving Mustache Rye'd a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment