Monday, October 6, 2014

Boring Brewing Company - Big Yawn IPA

Boring is as boring does?
Everyone has their own taste, especially when it comes to craft beer. If you've read my lil' ol' beer blog, you know that I have a particular affinity for Northwest-style IPA's. Nothing revs up my taste buds more than a masterly crafted, local India Pale Ale, brewed with a star-studded line-up of Northwest hops. Oh, yeah!

There are so many wonderful IPA's created here in Oregon, I haven't even come close to trying them all, and I consider myself to be a beer drinking professional. I get as excited as a little girl on Christmas morning when I run across a new (to me) IPA in my local bottle shop's cold case. Yippee!

The other day, I spied a bomber of Boring Brewing Company's Big Yawn IPA. Yes, Boring is a REAL town in Oregon. About 23 miles from Portland,  Boring was named after Civil War vet and early settler, William Boring. The moniker has absolutely nothing to with the demeanor of the residents or the vibe of the town--well, not much, anyway. At least one Boring denizen is a helluva brewer, that's for sure.

Big Yawn boasts an ABV of 7.2% and 75 IBU's. The label advises that it was brewed with a proprietary blended hop from Hopunion called Zythos. I googled the heck out of that and found Zythos described as possessing "distinct tropical (pineapple) and citrus tones, with slight pine characteristics" and "an excellent blend for any hop forward beer"... yes, I do believe that is accurate.

Big Yawn IPA poured into my IPA glass a deep, golden orange color with a creamy, white head. That head rose up to more than two fingers thick and dissipated slowly. Beautiful, creamy, clumpy, lumps of suds remained behind for a ridiculously long time. What a lovely presentation from first pour to final tip of the glass.

Aroma was citrus and juicy tropical fruit. Grapefruit, orange, tangerine, pineapple, mango and guava. Light pine. Sweet caramel malt in the background.

Taste followed the nose. For me, this beer provided the perfect mix of bitter, citrus-y hops and a seemingly endless array of tropical fruit flavors. Wow!

Medium mouthfeel with a creamy finish. Complex flavors competed on my palate for attention at the end.

Overall, this is a perfect beer for me. I'll be heading back to bottle shop to empty out the cold case of this beauty come next payday. I'm not kidding. Big Yawn gets a perfect BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie. Merry the Wonder Beagle went crazy for this brew, doing her little doggie drool dance until there was a disgustingly massive puddle on the living room floor. It doesn't get much better than that!


No comments:

Post a Comment