Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Alameda Brewing Company - Stubs Old Crow Hazelnut Porter

Quoth the raven, "Gimme more!"
The weather kinda, sorta, almost feels like Fall today, so I felt like drinking something as dark and impenetrable as my black, black soul...

Boo!

Ha! Sorry, I'm just getting ready for Halloween here at Casa de Wolfgang. I am drinking something dark: a Stubs Old Crow Hazelnut Porter from Alameda Brewing Company. They put a cool, creepy, Halloween-y label on this beer, that's for sure. It comes with an ABV of 6.7%. I bought the bomber for less than 5 bucks at Grocery Outlet. Deal! So, how was it, you ask?

The beer poured into my glass absolutely pitch black. I held it up to the chandelier and there was no light getting through at all. The mocha head rose up to a 1/2 inch and dissipated at a moderate rate. A small ring and and little center swill of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was nutty, roasted malt up front. Coffee. Cocoa. Brown sugar.

Taste was bitter, dark chocolate and hazelnuts. Espresso with a touch of vanilla. Roasted malt. A hint of citrus and a touch of lavender at the end.

Medium to slightly fuller mouthfeel with low carbonation. Smooth finish. Nice hints of hazelnut flavor left on the palate.

Overall, this is a tasty, full-flavored porter. Smooth and well-balanced. I like it! I'm giving Stubs Old Crow Hazelnut Porter a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4. Good stuff and I'm definitely drink it again!


No comments:

Post a Comment