Monday, September 15, 2014

Gilgamesh Brewing Company - Oedipus IPA

What walks on four feet in the morning?
Me, with a hangover...
Hey, wasn't Oedipus that poor schmuck in Greek Mythology who killed his father, married his mother, and then gouged his eyes out with a brooch pin? That dude had some serious angst, yo. Naw what I'm sayin'? Oops, sorry. I just finished watching several YouTube episodes of Thug Notes. I love that guy.

This is Oedipus IPA from Gilgamesh Brewing Company. I'm sure they had a good reason for naming the beer after a character with some significant...mommy issues. Ack. No explanation was provided on the label. Anyway, the beer comes with an ABV of 6.4% and was brewed in Salem, Oregon.

Oedipus poured into my IPA glass a clear, golden orange color with an off-white head. The head rose up to more than two fingers thick and was quite persistent. Very clumpy and lumpy, it left a massive amount of sudsy lacing behind all over the glass.

Aroma was pine resin and citrus. Orange, grapefruit and tangerine. Sweet, caramel malt bringing up the rear.

Taste followed the nose. Loads of indistinct citrus flavor. Mostly grapefruit. Big bitter blast, followed up with sweet malt. Good balance.

Medium mouthfeel with excellent carbonation. Creamy, semi-oily finish, but in a very pleasant way. It went down very easy.

Excellent example of a classic Northwest IPA. If I saw Oedipus on tap, I wouldn't hesitate to order one. If it came in a 12 oz. six pack, I would not hesitate to load my BBQ cooler with the stuff. I'm giving Oedipus IPA a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment