Saturday, September 6, 2014

Crockpot Carnitas

Fire up the Crockpot!
Man, another 95 degree day? Seriously? I'm tired of this heat! I don't have air conditioning, so it's broiling here at Casa de Wolfgang. No way am I going to fire up the stove to cook dinner today. I don't even want to man the grill out on the deck. It's too dang hot!

Gratefully, I have a vintage Crockpot slow cooker. There are lots of tasty Crockpot recipes, but I have a hankering for carnitas! Tender pieces of spicy, Mexican-style pork. It's super easy to make in a Crockpot. Of course, my recipe includes...beer. Oh, and tequila, because that's how I roll.

Ha, on a side note, I got an unsolicited Tweet from an Islamic prohibitionist today. He admonished me for "promoting the use of alcohol" and suggested I read the Quran and pray. Uh...BLOCKED! Seriously, dude, this is 'MERICA and I'm Beer Guy PDX. I bleed and sweat beer. There's no way you'll ever see me go all Cat Stevens on ya. No way. I'm also eating pork, so there you go. Not trying to be culturally insensitive, but I didn't start it. I don't hassle other people because of their lifestyle and beliefs. Live and let live--and nothing bugs me more than an intolerant religious zealot. /rant. 

Anyway, here's my carnitas recipe:


  • 1 teaspoon chile powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon oregano flakes
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 cup lager beer
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 1 small can of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 dash soy sauce
  • 1 shot tequila
Mix the dry spices and rub on both sides of the pork roast. Gently place at bottom of Crockpot. Carefully pour in the beer and chicken stock around the sides of the roast, trying not to wash off the spice rub. Add the rest of the ingredients and set the Crockpot on low. Cook for about 10 hours. When it's done, it will just fall apart with the poke of a fork. Serve with rice, beans and tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment