Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Worthy Brewing Company - Eruption Imperial Red Ale

Do I lava this beer?
Man, do I love beer! I guess that's obvious. I drink a lot of it. I blog about it. On occasion, I even try to brew it. However, I certainly don't consider myself to be any kind of beer expert. No, no, no. That term conveys a certain amount of geeky, scientific-y smarts that I just do not possess. Nope, no real expertise here. I suppose you could call me a "beer enthusiast". Yeah, I like that.

I started this blog as a way to chronicle my beer adventures--which typically just entails me sitting on the couch, drinking a new-to-me bomber of something I picked up from the supermarket cold case on the way home from the cube farm. I'm not trying to impress anybody. Not hanging out a shingle as some kind of authority. I certainly don't make any money doing this.

Beer just fascinates and amazes me. It's agriculture, art and alchemy, all combined into a tasty, potable beverage. Some brainy archaeologist types even go so far as proclaiming the invention of beer to be the nexus of civilization. Don't believe me? Watch this video.

In any case, I've rambled on way too much. I've got a new (to me) beer to review. Tonight's brew is Worthy Brewing Company's Imperial Red Ale. It comes with an ABV of 8% and an reported 100 IBU's. Intriguing. How did it do paired with my homemade sloppy joe's and chips?

The beer poured into my pint glass a reddish amber color with an off-white head. The creamy, clumpy head rose up to almost two fingers thick and dissipated slowly. Copious amounts of webby lacing left behind throughout the drink.

Aroma was citrus hops. Grapefruit and orange. Pine and floral notes on top of sweet, earthy malt.

Taste followed the nose. Lots of citrus hops with a good bitter bite to it. Nice spiciness, too. Good hops/malt balance to this beer. The malt didn't get lost in the mix behind all that hoppy goodness.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. No noticeable alcohol taste. A bit of a creamy finish. I like!

I'm giving Eruption a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4. I'd definitely do this one again. Merry the Wonder Beagle drooled up a storm over this one, so it gets a Droolie, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment