Saturday, August 30, 2014

Pipeworks Brewing Company - Brief Relief

It's bloody good!
"What's in a name?" What did Shakespeare say about that?  In a previous post, I discussed how difficult it must be for brewers to keep coming up with new, unique beer names. Today, I encountered a beer that pretty much proves my point.

Pipeworks Brewing Company (in collaboration with Harebrained) has created an American Red Ale, brewed with Blood Oranges, that is apparently...wait for it...menses themed. Yup, you can't make this stuff up. Brief Relief is dedicated to Period Panties, a product that...oh, just check them out here.

Now, I'm not particularly squeamish, but there are just some things I don't want to think about when I'm drinking or eating. Know what I'm saying? There's even a bloody pair of panties depicted on the Brief Relief label. Okay, enough. This beer was purchased in Chicago and brought to a bottle share I attended today. Bravo for the conversation starter! How was the beer, you ask?

Brief Relief poured into the taster glass a dark, reddish-orange color with an off-white head. The head demonstrated some good retention.

Aroma was sweet caramel malt, tropical fruit and a big nose full of citrus. Orange peel. Herbal notes.

Taste followed the nose. Bitter blood orange flavor was present and accounted for. Bready, biscuity malt. A bit boozy.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. The 9.0% ABV is noticeable but there's no alcohol burn.

Hey! This is a darn good beer! A very unique Imperial Red Ale. Wish I had more than a taster glass. I could easily put down the bomber by myself. Weird name, odd theme, but a tasty, tasty beer. I'm giving Brief Relief a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment