Monday, August 25, 2014

Laurelwood Brewing Company - Megafauna Imperial IPA

Prehistoric flavor?
If you've read my blog, you already know that I'm a big fan of Laurelwood Brewing Company. Solid. Dependable. They rarely disappoint. I picked up a bomber of their Megafauna Imperial IPA at Grocery Outlet the other day. Sorry, I don't remember what I paid for it, but I know it was a good deal. It's hard to go wrong with the beer prices at Grocery Outlet. Huge selection, too.

The label boasts an ABV of 9.5%. Yup, that's an IIPA. No mention of exactly what hops were used--just that they are "experimental". Interesting.

The beer poured into my pint glass a hazy, orange amber color with an off-white head. The head rose up to a full finger thick and was quite creamy and clumpy. Like you could eat it with a spoon. Lovely stuff. Retention was excellent, with a full cap of lacing present throughout most of the drink.

Aroma was a big nose full of citrus and pine. Dang! My wife said she could smell it from across the room. Loads of tropical fruit. Orange, grapefruit, ripe pineapple. Floral notes. Sweet, earthy caramel malt.

Taste followed the nose with a big bite of resinous pine that segued into ripe orange and grapefruit. Pineapple and mango. Tangerine. The flavors just didn't back off. Appropriately bitter with some lingering dankness right at the end. Excellent malt/hops balance.

Medium to full mouthfeel. A bit oily, a little sticky but with excellent carbonation. Boozy warmth at the finish, but not at all raspy with the alcohol. A medley of fruit flavor left behind on the palate.

Damn! Megafauna is excellent! Seriously, It's a keeper in my book. I'm giving this brew a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4. No Droolie, ony because the Wonder Beagle was busy obsessing over the opossums under our deck. I love this beer and highly recommend. Go get you some!


No comments:

Post a Comment