Saturday, August 2, 2014

Laurelwood Brewing Company - Green Elephant IPA

Elephant in the room?
It's no secret that the India Pale Ale (IPA) is my favorite beer style, and it's my opinion that IPA's produced here in the Pacific Northwest are the absolute best. Trust me, I've sampled a LOT of IPA's from all over the country and I know what I like. What was it Dorothy said at the end of "The Wizard of OZ"?

If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!

Yeah, that's kind of how I feel about beer. The best beer in the world can literally be found within blocks from my own back yard...well, I don't have a back yard, but you get what I'm talking about.

One of the local brewery/brew pubs I visit with some regularity is Laurelwood Brewing Company. Minutes from my house, these folks quietly put out some of the finest beer on the planet. Their Workhouse IPA is my go-to brew. Love that stuff, as you can tell from my review. Of course, Laurelwood doesn't just rest on their...laurels (heard you groan--sorry about that). No, they produce many other amazing beers, and I'm drinking one of them right now!

Green Elephant is described on the label as "a relative of the American IPA that takes big hop flavor to the next level." I would say that is an accurate description. This Pacfic Northwest IPA uses Cascade, Ahthanum and Amarillo hops and comes with an ABV of 6.9%. IBU's are at a reported 68. How is it, you ask?

The beer poured from bomber to pint glass a hazy, orange copper color with an off-white head. That head rose  up to almost two fingers thick and was impressively creamy and clumpy. The foam dissipated slowly and left a massive amount of sudsy lacing all over the glass. Quite a lovely beer and I'm glad I poured it myself so I could get the most out of the presentation.

Aroma was big citrus, pine and tropical fruit. Huge aroma to this brew, actually. My wife was sitting next to me on the couch and she even remarked about how good it smelled. Sweet, earthy malt, stone fruit and floral notes came through in the background. Just...wow!

Taste followed the nose with delicious orange and tangy grapefruit right up front. Pine notes with a ton of tropical and stone fruit flavors following it up. The huge hops flavor and bitterness did not overwhelm the delicious malt taste in this beer, which is amazing. A perfect balance was still achieved, in my opinion.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Not too chewy, which is a good thing. If this beer came with a thicker body, I think the flavor would be too much of a palate-coater. It finished thin enough to make it highly drinkable and still left some tasty citrus and tropical fruit rolling around on my taste buds. Seriously, I could handle a pitcher of Green Elephant with no complaint.

Overall, I may have found my new favorite Laurelwood IPA. Tasty, tasty, tasty, stuff, with a boatload of complexity and fantastic flavor. Merry the Wonder Beagle sought it out as soon as I opened the bottle and left a big puddle of drool at my feet while I drank it. Green Elephant earns a prefect BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans AND a Droolie.


1 comment:

  1. Well now I have to try this beer. 4 and a droolie. I must give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete