Sunday, August 3, 2014

Full Sail Brewing Company - Session Premium Lager

A Pacific NW original.
If you've ever been to party in Portland, Oregon, chances are you've encountered Full Sail Brewing Company's Session Premium Lager. It's not craft beer. It's not a macro brew. It comes in a stubby 11 oz. bottle that fits neatly in your hand. The stuff is typically sold in 12 packs, which can be had for under 12 bucks--sometimes even less if you find it on sale.

Let's face it. Times are tough everywhere. While I'd love to treat my weekend BBQ guests to oodles of fine, premium, craft beer, I just can't afford it. I usually save the expensive brews for my own selfish self-indulgence. Of course, there's no way I'm going to serve crap beer at Casa de Wolfgang, either. I have a reputation to uphold. Thank gawd they make this nice little beer! And right nearby in Hood River, Oregon, too!

Full Sail's website says that Session is "a classic all-malt pre-Prohibition style lager that reminds us of what American lagers used to taste like. It's flavorful, refreshing, and has a touch of that import-style taste. (Which, once upon a time, you didn't have to buy an 'import' to get.)" It comes with an ABV of 5.1%, which makes it a true "session" beer. Low alcohol content, easy to drink AND easy on the wallet. You can fill your party cooler without having to take out a second mortgage. But, how does it taste? Really?

Truthfully, I just drink this beer straight from the bottle. (I also like to avoid washing a mountain of glassware after a Sunday BBQ. So, sue me.) Nevertheless, if you do pour Session into a glass, it's the typical straw yellow color of most every other American lager. The white, bubbly head makes it up to a finger thick and dissipates quickly to a thin ring of lacing.

Aroma is sweet malt and mild, grassy hops. Nothing offensive. No cat piss or corn smell, like you get from so many macros.

Taste is sweet, biscuity malt. A hint of lemony hops. Once again, no corn, rice or foul urine-like flavor.

Thin, light mouthfeel. It goes down easy. Crisp, clean finish. No nasty aftertaste. No alcohol taste at all. 

Overall, the only complaint I have about Session is that it is just a tad too sweet for my taste. Otherwise, it is a solid, affordable cooler brew. The brown, stubby bottle and clean, simple label graphics add to the classic appeal. I'm giving Session Premium Lager a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4. No droolie. Ha. Merry the Wonder doesn't care for Session one little bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment