Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Deschutes Brewery - Armory XPA

Add caption
I'll be the first to admit that when I'm shopping for a new craft beer to try, one of the deciding factors for me is price. Look me up on Untappd and you'll see that I've logged in more than 1000 unique beers--and trust me, I forget to check in about half the time. I spend A LOT of money on beer, and I ain't no millionaire. I'm on a budget and a prohibitive price tag will definitely keep a beer out of my fridge.

Today, I found Deschutes brews on sale at Safeway. I also found a beer that I've never tried before: Armory XPA. The "X" stands for "Experimental". Experimental Pale Ale. Intriguing. The beer reportedly comes with an ABV of 6.0%. The label also boasts of a bounty of hops, including Cascade, Centennial and Citra. Hey, it's hard to lose with that trifecta of "C" hops. How was it, you ask?

The beer poured from bomber into pint glass a bright amber color with an off-white head. The head was creamy, clumpy and rose up to almost two fingers thick. The suds dissipated slowly and a persistent amount of webby lace was left behind.

Aroma was citrus hops and biscuity malt. Juicy fruit and floral notes in the mix, too.

Taste followed the nose. Lots for citrus flavor: orange and grapefruit rind. Tropical fruit: pineapple. Not much malt flavor coming through, as you would expect in a pale ale. A lot of IPA characteristics to this one.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Somewhat of a creamy finish. No noticeable alcohol taste.

Overall, this is a pleasant, easy drinker. I'm giving Armory XPA a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment