Saturday, August 30, 2014

Alameda Brewing Company - Wolfenstein Imperial IPA

Halten sie!
Here's another awesome beer name: Alameda Brewing Company's Wolfenstein Imperial IPA. Ah, I used to love playing Wolfenstein 3D. What is that you ask, youngster? Wolfenstein 3D is the grandpappy of first person shooter video games. I played it way back in the early 1990's when a 386 32-bit CPU was the hottest gaming machine around.

The premise of the game was simple: you played a WWII Allied spy, BJ Blazkowicz, trying to escape from Castle Wolfenstein, a Nazi stronghold. Basically, you just ran around shooting Nazis before they shot you. In the end, you got to kill Hitler! Good, clean fun!

Wolfenstein IIPA is good, clean fun, too. It comes with an ABV of 9.0%, and at 100 IBU's, it packs a wallop bigger than a howitzer. Yowitzer! I got it on tap at the Alameda Brewing pub. Did you know that my full name is Wolfenstein? Just kidding. Or am I? I am.

The beer was delivered to my table in a teeny, tiny snifter. It was a slightly hazy, golden orange color with a foamy, white head. The head dissipated at a moderate rate and left a thin cap of lacing behind.

Aroma was big on citrus hops up front. Grapefruit. Pine resin. Herbal  notes. Sweet malt.

Taste followed the nose. Dank, bitter hops. Big pucker from the get-go. Grapefruit. Pine. Tropical fruit in the mix. Sweet, earthy malt. The tropical fruit flavor perked up as it warmed.

Bit of a sticky, chewy mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Smooth finish but the alcohol did not go unnoticed.

Overall, this is big flavored beer with a lot of character. Nice to sip on. I like it! Good stuff! I'm giving Wolfenstein a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4. 1/2 a can is for the cool name.



No comments:

Post a Comment