Sunday, July 6, 2014

Mazama Brewing Company - Hop Eruption IPA

Blowing the lid off flavor?
It's Oregon Craft Beer Month! Lots of events planned to celebrate here in Portland, starting with the Waterfront Blues Fest that is going on right now. For me, EVERY month is Craft Beer Month, and I'm celebrating like I usually do--on my couch drinking a delicious, fine, Oregon craft beer!

This evening's subject is Mazama Brewing Company's Hop Eruption India Pale Ale. Mazama is located in beautiful Corvallis, Oregon. This was my first time ever drinking their Pacific NW IPA. It comes with an ABV of 6.8% and the label advises that it was brewed with a kilo of "C" hops. It did not say which ones. I'm guessing Cascade, Centennial, Chinook and something else. Columbus? Citra? Inquiring minds want to know! In any case, I love those "C" hops. Yeah!

The beer poured into my IPA glass a deep, golden orange color. Slightly hazy. The off-white head rose up like a champ! Almost two fingers thick and it dissipated slowly. Clumpy, fluffy chunks of foam and copious amounts of webby lacing left all over the glass. Certainly a purty lil' brew.

Aroma was huge on the citrus, which I expected from the description. Orange, grapefruit, lemon. Lots of resinous pine, too. Tropical and stone fruit smells in the background. Some sweet, bready malt whiffs lurking there, too.

Taste delivered some big citrus pucker right up front. Grapefruit and lemon peel. Some pleasant dankness mixed in there. Nice! Not much of a malt flavor. The hops bitterness overpowered and hung around, zinging the taste buds throughout the entire drink.

Medium mouthfeel with a bit of a creamy finish. Appropriate carbonation. That bitter citrus peel flavor provided a substantial aftertaste that did not fade quickly.

Overall, Hop Eruption is a great PNW IPA. My favorite style and just to my liking. Good stuff! I'm giving Hop Eruption a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4. It's a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment