Thursday, July 3, 2014

Hilliard's Beer - Saison

Not your average can.
So many, many awesome craft beers come cans nowadays. I think it's great. I won't get all into why I like beer in cans again. I've beaten that horse half to death...what a horrible expression that is, isn't it? Sorry. I've beaten that ZOMBIE half to death. Yeah, that's better. Everybody hates zombies.

Anyway, I found a can of Hilliard's Saison in the cold case at New Seasons yesterday. $2.49 for the pint. Hilliard's Beer hails from Seattle, WA. All are their beers are $4 at their taproom. Cool! I think I need to take a trip up north soon.

Hilliard's Saison poured from can into my goblet a hazy, golden yellow color with a bright, white, bubbly head. The head made it up to about a 1/2 inch tall and dissipated quickly. Only a thin ring of lacing was left behind. Lots of bubbly carbonation was present in the glass throughout the entire drink.

Aroma was Belgian-esque spices: clove and coriander. Lemony citrus and funky farmhouse yeast. Sourdough bready.

Taste followed the nose. Lemon zest. Yeasty, bready. Hints of tart apple. Banana. Cloves. A bit of a bitter zing. 

Medium to slightly thin mouthfeel. Lots of carbonation. Crisp, clean finish.

Overall, this brew is an easy drinker. Somewhat cider-like. Quite refreshing. Merry the Wonder Beagle tried her best to bully me out of a taste, but all she got was a snoot full of smells. Hey, I like this one so much, I even finished it after a gnat landed in the glass. Hilliard's Saison earns a very respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4 and a Droolie.


No comments:

Post a Comment