Monday, July 28, 2014

Gigantic Brewing Company - Volta

High Volta?
It's another hot summer day here in Portland. Ugh, it's hot and unseasonably humid. Slogged home from work in the heat, feeling more than a little grouchy, and what do I find in the fridge? A fine, local, craft beer! "I don't think you've ever tried that one," said my lovely esposa.

Wow, am I a lucky man, or what? In edition to the tasty craft beer cooling it in the Kenmore, there was a big dish of fresh-baked, piping hot ziti on the stove. Oh, yeah. 

The beer was a bomber of Gigantic Brewing Company's Volta.  (My lady was correct--I've never tried it before.) The label proclaims it to be "a delightfully spicy fruity summer saison yet a beer for any season." The reported ABV is 8.4%.

The beer poured into my chalice an bright, golden orange hue with a bubbly white head. The head rose up to almost a finger thick and dissipated quickly. A frothy cap of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was Belgian yeast up front. Tropical and stone fruit. Banana. Clove and coriander.

Taste was banana, pear, apple and Belgian spices. Bready yeast and sweet caramel malt.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. No appreciable alcohol taste. Dry finish with fruit and spice left on the palate at the end.

Overall, this is quite a tasty beer. Decidedly different. More like the big brother of a saison. I liked it and would definitely drink it again. I'm giving Volta a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.




No comments:

Post a Comment