Sunday, July 6, 2014

DIY - Bottle Cap Ant Traps

DIY and save!
If you drink as much beer as I do, chances are you have a collection of used bottle caps laying around somewhere. I have two gallon milk bottles filled with caps!

What to do with all those caps? Make jewelry? Furniture? Tile my bathroom floor with them? My lack of crafting skills and general klutziness puts the nix to those ideas right away. However, I did find something very useful to make with them: ant traps!

My house is old and full of holes. Seriously, it's a 100 year old shack. What're ya gonna do? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I woke up one morning and found a family of raccoons sauntering through my living room. Bugs? Get out of here! There's no keeping the little critters outside. Thus, every spring, the ants move into my kitchen. Trails of the little creeps criss-crossing my counters, invading the trash, camping out in the cupboards. I hate 'em!

How do I get rid of the ants, you ask? It's easy, and all it takes is a little Boric Acid, a couple of spent bottle caps, and a few other common household items.

Step 1: Use a pair of tin snips and slice a hole into the side of a bottle cap, as so...


Step 2: Add a dab of corn syrup, a smidgen of peanut butter and about a 1/8 teaspoon of Boric Acid...


Step 3: Mix it all into a paste...


Step 4: Tape another bottle cap on top for a lid...


That's it! Drop these lethal little disks onto window sills, inside cupboards, or wherever the ants make their entrance into your domicile. The ants go inside, snatch up the toxic grub and take it back to the nest for all their buddies. The deadly dinner kills them pronto! Sorry, ants!

Boric Acid is poisonous, so be careful with the stuff. It takes a good amount to kill a human, but you don't want to leave these traps around where pets or little kids can get to them. Oh, man, I better put up the full disclaimer:

Boric Acid is a poison. Do not leave these traps or the container anywhere PETS OR SMALL CHILDREN can get them. If ingested, call 911!
These traps are for grease-loving ants. If you are plagued with sweet eaters, mix the Boric Acid with mint jelly. That's it! If you have any questions, drop me a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment