Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Burnside Brewing Company - Couch Select Lager

Helles yeah!
Oh, my freaking gawd, it's another scorcher here in Stumptown! It's about 90 degrees and me without an air conditioner. This is not fun! Not fun for me, and certainly not fun for my neighbors who have to watch me walking around in the front yard in a Speedo, periodically soaking myself down with the garden hose. Hey, this is Portland, and I'm just doing my part to keep it weird. Don't worry, it's a demure black Speedo.

How weird is Portland? Well, there are some words they pronounce differently here than anywhere else in the country. That's one weird thing. How would you say the word "Boise"? Probably BOY-SEE, like in Boise, Idaho. Not in Portland. Here, it's BOICE, like choice. The word "aloha"? AH-LOW-HAH, everywhere else, especially in Hawaii, but in Stumptown, it's A-LOW-UH. Duh.

Which brings us to the word "COUCH". Everywhere but Portland, that word would be pronounced just like it's spelled. It's another word for sofa...COUCH. However, here in Portland, there's a street with that exact spelling and it's pronounced...wait for it... "COOCH". Yup. I'm not lyin'. I often wonder why they don't pronounce Fremont Street, "FRAY-MOONT". Hmmmm...

In any case, Burnside Brewing Company has ascribed the moniker to their version of a Helles lager, Couch Select Lager. Awesome, because folks can saddle up to the bar and say, "I'll have some COOCH!" Yes! The beer comes with a sessionable 5% ABV. I picked up a six pack of 12 ounce cans for $9.99 at New Seasons. How was it, you ask?

The beer poured from can to pilsner glass a pale, straw yellow color with a bright white head. The head made it up to about a finger thickness and then dissipated quickly. A thin ring of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was light lemon zest and malt. Subtle floral hints. Not a big nose to this one.

Taste was lots of tasty, biscuity malt up front. Light lemon with a subtle bitter hops presence at the end. Nice!

Thin to medium mouthfeel. Surprising light creaminess on the finish. Crisp, clean and refreshing. 

Overall, this is a great summer brew. A perfect lawnmower beer. Nothing harsh or fake tasting, like you'll find in a macro-lager. This stuff smacks of high quality. Wonderful! I'm giving Couch Select Lager a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4, PLUS an extra 1/2 can for putting this brew in a can. Cool retro graphics, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment