Monday, June 2, 2014

Portland Brewing Company - Oregon Honey Beer

Honey, what's the buzz?
If you're like me, (And seriously, why wouldn't you want to be?) your beer drinking habits change considerably when the weather gets warmer. You find yourself outside, recreating or doing a whole lotta yard chores--I call 'em "hunny-dos", which segues quite clumsily into my review for the evening... 

Yup, doing yard work is hard. You work up a sweat. You get a thick, dusty layer of crud coating the back of your parched throat. Incredibly, nothing sounds more distasteful than a heavy-hitting hop bomb of a beer. IPA? No way! Stout? Get the heck out! Porter? I'll give you a porter, buster. No, my warm weather beer has to be crisp, clean and refreshingly quaff-able.

Yup, I'm always looking for a nice, easy drinking, summer session beer. Luckily, one showed up on my doorstep today: Portland Brewing Company's Oregon Honey Beer. As the name suggests, this is an ale brewed with real Oregon honey. White clover honey, to be precise. This beer is also brewed with Willamette hops and comes with an ABV of 4.8%.

The beer poured into my glass a very clear, golden yellow color. The bubbly white head rose up to about a 1/2 inch and dissipated quickly. No appreciable lacing was left behind. However, there was a significantly noticeable effervescence. Pinpoint bubbles rose up from the bottom of the glass throughout the entire drink.

Aroma was lemony citrus and lots of malt on the initial intake. Definitely the smell of honey. Floral and grassy notes in the background.

Taste was mildly bitter, lemony hops and sweet malt. The honey flavor was there, but certainly nothing cloying about it, as one might fear. I found the sweet malt and honey to be very well-balanced against the hops bitterness. I liked it!

Thin to medium mouthfeel with lots of carbonation. Light bodied. Crisp, clean finish but with pleasant malt and hops taste working well together on the palate. Honey aftertaste. Nice!

Overall, this a really nice summer session brew. If you're not in the mood for an overly sweet shandy or radler, and a lager just isn't your style, Oregon Honey Beer might be right up your alley. I enjoyed it while tending my hops out in the garden today. I'm giving Oregon Honey Beer a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4. Good stuff!




No comments:

Post a Comment