Monday, June 9, 2014

Fort George Brewery (Boneyard/Block 15 collab) 3 Way IPA 2014

3 Way all the way!
What kind of ship never sails? A PARTNERSHIP! Ha, ha, my poor wife just had a terrible experience trying to open a retail store with a partner. Turned out her "partner" was a complete knucklehead. Things did not go well, but my darling esposa got out of the deal before it cost her any major cash or too many migraines. Nope, teaming up with people doesn't often turn out to be a Gilbert and Sullivan-esque success story...except, of course, when it does.

For the second year in a row, Fort George Brewery has teamed up with not one, but TWO other breweries to create their summer seasonal 3 Way IPA. Last year, it was Gigantic and Lompoc. This year, the collaborators are Boneyard Beer out of Bend, OR and Block 15 Brewing in Corvallis. Are three heads really better than one? Let's find out!

The beer poured into my IPA glass a slightly hazy, light golden orange color with a beautiful white head. The head rose up to more than a finger thick and lasted a good, long time. A thin cap of lacing was left behind.

Aroma gave a nose full of citrus hops ASAP. Orange, lemon, grapefruit. Floral and tropical fruit smells with a dose of light pine in the background.

Taste followed the nose. Huge citrus medley lead the way. Nice malt flavor mixed it up with some indistinct tropical fruit. Nice hops pucker to the stuff. There's some IBU's lurking about. Some light, earthy dankness going on in there, too. Lots of tasty flavors competed for my attention, which is what I'd expect from a masterful IPA created by three masterful brewers. F**k ya!

Medium mouthfeel with a bit of a chew to it. Juicy finish to the stuff. 

Overall, this brew is a keeper! I like it better than last year's version. Wow, does it have to be a seasonal? I was sad that I only bought one can of this brew. I could have polished off a four pack on my own. 7.2% ABV but no alcohol taste detected. I'm giving 3 Way IPA 2014 a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie. Merry the Wonder Beagle responded to the aroma with a healthy two tendril drool. Great beer that I'm definitely going to stock up on.



No comments:

Post a Comment