Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Elysian Brewing Company - Superfuzz Blood Orange Pale Ale

Groovy.
Today seemed like a good day to do happy hour after work. The sun peeked out and it became shirtsleeve weather in the late afternoon. I got home early and gathered up my wife and daughter for a stroll down Alberta Street. Did I mention that I live in the most awesome happy hour 'hood in NE Portland? Well, I do.

Our walk eventually landed us at Cruzroom, a cool little bar that serves up designer tacos and cocktails. They also have a nice little tap list that consists primarily of beers from Elysian Brewing Company. I don't know what the deal is with that, but I'm not complaining, Elysian makes some mighty fine beer.

I ordered a Superfuzz Blood Orange Pale Ale because it was advertised as the seasonal rotating tap. Did I mention that Cruzroom also has a very nice outdoor patio? Well, they do.

The beer was delivered in a shaker pint a hazy, ruby-tinged orange color. The white head was only a 1/4 inch high by the time it reached my table and dissipated quickly. A very thin cap of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was spectacular. Loads of citrus--orange, grapefruit and lemon zest. Tropical fruit in the mix, too. Mango, pineapple. Floral notes galore. Wow. It's been awhile since I've had a beer with so much going on in the nose.

Taste delivered a big medley of citrus that followed the nose. Orange and grapefruit. Nice, mild bitter hops bite to the stuff. Sweet, earthy malt flavor. You can really taste the blood orange, mingled with juicy tropical fruit. Nice!

Medium mouthfeel with light carbonation. There's some body to the brew.

Overall, this is a very flavorful brew with a nice NW hops edge to it. I like it! Superfuzz gets a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment