Saturday, June 7, 2014

Coalition Brewing Company - Simple India Sesson Ale

Simple is as simple does.
I've written about "session" beers before. The term indicates that the beer has a lower ABV (below 5%), thereby allowing the consumer to drink mass quantities without falling off the picnic table and into the BBQ pit--at least not right way. 

I'm of the opinion that a session beer should also be affordable. Not too many of us "regular folk" can shell out $8.00 a piece for bomber after bomber of expensive brews every weekend. No, a session beer must come with a decent price tag. It should also taste good.

So many brewers are putting out session beers. Trying to bring those PBR guzzlers into the craft beer fold, I surmise. I picked up a bomber of Coalition Brewing Company's Simple India Session Ale at QFC today. It was on sale for $2.99. Hey, the price works for me! How does it stack up? Let's find out!

The beer poured into my glass a slightly hazy, golden orange color with a lovely, creamy, clumpy, bright white head. That head rose up to almost two fingers thick and dissipated slowly. Copious amounts of lacing left all over the glass. Looked beautiful in the presentation, that's for sure.

Aroma was lots of citrus with a hint of pine. Very fresh and floral in the initial uptake, too. Sweet caramel malt.

Taste was citrus hops up front. All grapefruit. Very nice malt flavor. Really seemed more like a pale ale to me. Just a little bit dank. Very refreshing. Tasty!

Medium to slightly thin mouthfeel. Good carbonation. Crisp, clean hops finish.

Overall, Simple ISA is a very nice session brew. Low price, low ABV and nice flavor. Will it convert any adjunct lager hipsters to craft beer? I don't know why not. I'm giving Simple ISA a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4. I should have bought two bombers! DOH!



No comments:

Post a Comment