Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Rogue Ales - Beard Beer

Weird beard?
I heard a lot about this particular brew when it was released. I saw it on tap at Fifteenth Avenue Hophouse today and got a pint, just on a lark. What's the deal with Beard Beer, you ask? It was brewed with a yeast strain that was supposedly gleaned from the beard of the brewer. Seriously, that's the story. You can't make this sh*t up.

My wife calls my beard my "flavor savor". Right now, I'm pretty sure there's some remnants of chip dip, chicken satay, Oreos and salami in my beard. I'm wondering if there's some kind of exotic yeast hanging around in there, too. Hmmm...

In reality, yeast is freaking everywhere. It's a microorganism for gripes sake! Open fermentation techniques rely on spontaneous fermentation to get yeast into the brew--i.e. yeast that is native to the immediate environment. Just floatin' around in the air, hangin' out. The idea that there could be all kinds of yeast lurking deep within a brewer's beard isn't really that far out.

"Ew." That's what my daughter said about Beard Beer, when informed of the yeast's beard-y origin. I couldn't get any other member of my happy hour gang to try the stuff, either. Come on, wussies! It was pretty good!

The beer was delivered in a tall pint glass. It was a slightly hazy, golden orange color with a thin, white head. The head dissipated quickly and a small ring of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was big on yeast and Belgian-style spices. Bready. Malty. Floral and citrus notes in the background.

Taste was lemony citrus up front. Clove and coriander. Yeasty. A little funky. A little bit peppery. Nice flavor.

Medium mouthfeel with just a bit of a watery finish. Those Belgian-ish spice flavors were left on the palate at the end. No alcohol taste to the brew.

Overall, I found Beard Beer a pleasant, easy drinking brew. Yeah, in spite of the gimmick, I'd drink the stuff again. I'm giving Beard Beer a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment