Sunday, May 25, 2014

Loowit Brewing Company - Shadow Ninja IPA

Black belt in brewing?
I think I may have found the perfect beer to drink while watching the UFC fights: Shadow Ninja IPA from Loowit Brewing Company. Loowit is just over the border from Portland in Vancouver, WA.

Talking about the UFC, in case you didn't know, I'm a BIG MMA fan. I've loved Martial Arts since I was a kid. I trained in Tae Kwon Do for many years, and I've watched Mixed Martial Arts since UFC 1. Interestingly, I have way more Twitter followers for MMA than for beer. In fact, it seems whenever I tweet during an MMA event, I LOSE beer followers. Why you beer drinkers so sensitive, huh? Guess I should really call myself MMAguyPDX. In any case, back to the beer review before I lose blog followers, too.

Shadow Ninja poured into my IPA glass a coppery, golden orange color with a big, bright, foamy, white head. It looked quite spectacular, actually. The head had excellent retention and left loads of frothy lacing behind.

Aroma was citrus and piney hops up front. Lots of juicy tropical fruit in the nose, too. Pineapple, mango, guava scents. Some floral notes to top it off. The Wonder Beagle came running as soon as I popped the cap.

Taste followed the nose. Orange and grapefruit. Tropical fruit. Sweet caramel malt. Appropriate hops bitterness. Some nice herbal spiciness. Oh, my quivering taste buds! This is just the kind of IPA I like! Delicious stuff! Loowit didn't blew it! (Groan. Sorry, you know I wanted to use that heinous pun the minute I picked up the bomber.)

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Creamy finish. Citrus and caramel malt left competing on the palate for attention at the end. No alcohol taste. Easy to drink. I really like!

Wow, I'm going to have to pay Loowit a little visit the next time I'm in Vancouver. I can't find any flaw in this IPA. It's excellent and I do believe I paid about $3.50 for the bomber. Local. Check. Delicious. Check. Fair price. Check. Shadow Ninja IPA is getting a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4 from me and a Droolie.


No comments:

Post a Comment