Sunday, April 27, 2014

Widmer/Boneyard Brewing Collaboration - Blacklight IPA

Does Red Flocked Jesus approve?
I always get excited when I find a new beer in the grocery store cold case. Today, I discovered Blacklight IPA at Fred Meyer. Holy frijoles, Batman! The sticker price was almost eight bucks! Man, I agonized about making the purchase for several minutes. Hey, I'm no cheapskate. I'll fork out some serious scratch for premium beer, but when I haven't heard anything about it...eh, that makes my wallet hurt. Ow.

I wandered around the store for a while and eventually found my way back to the cold case. I hemmed. I hawed. I eventually bought the stuff. The label said the beer is a "session style black IPA". I couldn't find an ABV on the label, so I'm certain it's under 5%.

Blacklight poured into my shaker pint a dark, dark brown, almost black color with an off-white head. The head came up to a full finger thick and dissipated quickly. Frothy, webby lacing was left behind.

Aroma was grapefruit and pine with an abundance of roasted malt.

Taste followed the nose with big gulp of citrus flavor right up front. Grapefruit, tangerine. Tropical fruit. Very IPA-ish from the get go, but there was a distinctive nutty, slightly smokey, roasted malt flavor at the end. Lots and lots of taste to this "session" beer.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. A bit of a dry finish with the flavors of grapefruit and roasted malt left behind.

Wow, I don't know if I'd call this a "session" beer, considering the bold flavor profile--and I gotta say the price tag is a bit prohibitive for moi. I mean, to me "session" means low ABV and low PRICE, thereby allowing the consumer of said beer to drink mass quantities in a "session". You'd need to be a bazillionaire to drink a case of this brew, or at least, have more scratch than your's truly.

In any case, it's a nice beer. I enjoyed drinking it and would probably drink it again if I found it on tap someplace. I'm giving Blacklight a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


2 comments:

  1. The abv on it should be 4.2. Widmer is going through a rebranding and no longer wants to make affordable beer and now wants to price everything at $8.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish them luck with that model, but with so many delicious AND affordable beers in the cold case, I'll be passing them by.

      Delete