Saturday, April 26, 2014

Gigantic Brewing Company - Firebird Smoked Hefeweizen

My beer is on fire.
Back in the day, I drove a Firebird. What an awesome car that was. GM still knew how to build muscle cars back in 1978. Now, my "ride" is a TriMet bus. Sigh. Who would have ever imagined it? Not me, that's for sure. Anyway, what brought on this trip down memory lane is the beer I'm drinking tonight: Gigantic Brewing Company's Firebird Smoked Hefeweizen. How is it? Let's find out.

The beer poured into my pilsner glass a hazy, golden yellow color with a white, foamy head. The head rose up to about an inch tall and dissipated at a moderate rate. A thin cap of lacing was left behind when the suds disappeared.

Aroma was lemony citrus with a distinctive, light smokey smell in the background. Some banana bread and spice mixed in there.

Taste was citrus and mild tropical fruit. Pineapple and banana. Hints of clove and coriander. Very pleasant smoke flavor. Not at all overpowering or overwhelming. Delicious!

Thin to medium mouthfeel with appropriate carbonation. That smoke lingered on the palate at the end. Nice!

Smoked beers make me a bit apprehensive. I've had some that taste like somebody poured a bottle of that fake liquid smoke flavor into the fermenter. Not so with Firebird. I really like it. Very refreshing and surprisingly easy to drink. I'm giving Firebird a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie. The Wonder Beagle approved.


No comments:

Post a Comment