Friday, April 18, 2014

Firestone Walker Brewing Company - Easy Jack Summer Session IPA

Easy like a Sunday morning?
Back when I lived in SoCal, most of the area was a freaking craft beer wasteland. You could walk into any bar almost anywhere in the state and the only thing you'd find on tap was Miller, Bud or Coors. My taste buds weep just thinking about it.

One of the first major craft beer pioneers on California's Gold Coast was Firestone Walker. I remember when they opened their brewery and tap room in relatively remote Buellton, CA. There were more than a few naysayers at the time. Lots of folks wondered why they'd put so much effort into--OMG--a brewery, right smack dab in the middle of Santa Barbara County's wine country. Me? I was tickled to death.

I often had business up in the area and beyond. On my lonely drives back home to Ventura, I'd stop in at Firestone's tasting room. That was certainly a treat.

Tonight, I found myself sipping on a pint of Firestone's Easy Jack Summer Session IPA. I found it on tap at The Station on NE Alberta Street. Decent happy hour there at The Station. I recommend the nachos.

The beer was delivered to my table in a shaker pint. It was a clear, golden, light orange color with a foamy white head. The head dissipated quickly and left some thin, webby lacing behind.

Aroma was grapefruit, tropical fruit and light pine.

Taste followed the nose but with more malt flavor than the nose foretold. Appropriate hops bitterness for an IPA.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Nice finish with bitter hops, pine and malt flavors left subtly behind on the palate.

This is not a hop bomb by any stretch, but pretty decent for a low ABV (4.5%) session IPA. I'd order it again. I'm giving Easy Jack a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment