Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Alameda Brewing Company - Rose City Red

RCTID
Wow, I've reviewed quite a number of brews produced by Alameda Brewing Company. I guess that shouldn't be too surprising. This top-notch Portland brewery is located within walking distance from my house--okay, it's a bit of a LONG walk, but not too far to go for fine craft beer.

Solid brews are made at Alameda. Take a trip to NE Portland's NE Fremont Street and look for the giant hop sculpture hanging above the front door. It's telling you that there's a lot of good stuff inside, including some very tasty pub grub.

Tonight, I'm drinking a bomber of Alameda's Rose City Red. It set me back a very reasonable $3.89 at Grocery Outlet. This beer comes with an ABV of 6.4%.

Rose City Red poured into my shaker pint a hazy, dark brownish-red color with a foamy, tan head. The head came up to about a finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. Lots of webby lacing was left behind all over the glass.

Aroma was massive, sweet caramel malt with indistinct citrus, floral and light pine notes in the background.

Taste was caramel malt up front. Mild cocoa notes with hints of hazelnut. Nice bitter hops sock was a pleasant surprise. 

Medium mouthfeel with excellent carbonation. Bitter hops and sweet malt flavors left behind on the palate. Great balance, in my opinion. Not too sweet, not too bitter. Just right!

Some great red ales are coming out of the Pacific Northwest lately. I approve! Merry the Wonder Beagle LOVED the aroma of this stuff. She drool-slimed me good! I'm giving Rose City Red a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.

FYI: Rose City is Portland, Oregon's nickname.


1 comment:

  1. I really like their place on Fremont. Great neighborhood, great beer.

    ReplyDelete