Friday, March 21, 2014

Laurelwood Brewing Company - Piston Pale Ale

Bangin' on all cylinders!
Picked up a bomber of Laurelwood Brewing Company's Piston Pale Ale yesterday at Whole Foods. Yes, I was shopping at Whole Foods. I actually hate that yuppie, stuck-up store, but it's on the way home, and when you're riding the bus, you sometimes don't have too many options. I usually just stop in for an item or two--no way could I afford to do all my shopping there! I'm not Gwyneth Paltrow for gripes sake!

Grudgingly, I'll admit that WF has a pretty decent cold case. It's as expensive as f**k, but the selection is okay. They do try to do local, which I don't believe is done with very much sincerity. Pretty much just a gimmick to sucker in the faux "buy local", BMW driving crowd. Ick. Anyway, the bomber of Piston Pale Ale was on sale for $4.99.

The beer came with a mild ABV of 5.6%. It was brewed and bottled right here in Stumptown. I don't really know if that means much to the corporate goons at WF, but it does mean a lot to me. I'm proud of the fine beer that's brewed in this city and Laurelwood is one of the standard barers, in my humble opinion.

The beer poured into my shaker pint a reasonably clear, golden orange color. The bright, white head rose up to a full finger thick and dissipated slowly. Lots of sudsy lacing was left behind and stuck around until I finished up the glass.

Aroma was primarily citrus and sweet tropical fruit. Floral notes. 

Taste was a pleasant, sweet, caramel malt right up front. A mild but solid sock of citrus hops came rolling across the palate and provided a lasting bitterness at the finish.

Medium mouthfeel with appropriate carbonation. Creamy finish. Malt and hops both present at the end. Excellent balance.

This is a really nice pale ale. Perfect for folks who want a refreshing, flavorful beer but aren't full-fledged hopheads. I like it! Cool label, too!

I'm giving Piston Pale Ale a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4. 


4 comments:

  1. If it weren't for the free-range children there, I'd visit more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I agree, Brian. I don't like kids in pubs. I don't like to check my "F" words. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog. This is a cool site and I wanted to post a little note to tell you, good job! Best wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete