Saturday, March 1, 2014

Green Flash Brewing Company - Hop Odyssey Black IPA

Come to the dark side.
There isn't anything very complicated about the way I chose beers to review. I usually just pull something that looks interesting out of the cold case, tote it home and drink it. Eventually, I write a review. Truth be told, I drink a lot more beer than I review. Writing up blog posts takes time and effort and, well, I'm pretty darn lazy.

I am trying to be more diligent about documenting my conquests--or beerquests, if you will. Of course, there's that whole aforementioned laziness issue. Oh, well, there's no time like now and I've got a pretty nice beer to write up today.

Green Flash Brewing Company makes some tasty beers down San Diego way. Good stuff. When I saw a black IPA with Green Flash's logo on the label, I was intrigued. Had to try it. I'm glad that I did!

The beer poured into my tulip pint a pitch black color with a light tan head. The head rose up to two full fingers thick and was very creamy looking. The foam dissipated slowly and left lots of sudsy lacing behind.

Aroma was citrus and pine hops up front. Grapefruit and orange. Roasted malt in the background. Coffee and cocoa.

Taste was more than I expected. Big IPA bang to the stuff. Dank and piney. Very juicy tropical fruit. Spicy bitter tang with that earthy, roasted chocolate malt flavor lingering on the palate. Superb malt and hops balance to the stuff.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Juicy and a bit sticky on the finish.

Overall, this brew is a great example of an often quirky style. I like it a lot. I wouldn't kick a bottle of it out of my cold case, that's for sure. I'm giving Hop Odyssey Black IPA a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4. The beer also earns itself a Droolie. The Wonder Beagle left quite a puddle on the floor and at one point, tried to steal a taste when I left the room. Luckily, I caught her just in time to save the last drop for myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment