Sunday, March 2, 2014

Crux Fermentation Project - Insider IPA

An inside job?
I've greatly enjoyed getting to know some of the delightful beers brewed by Bend, Oregon's Crux Fermentation Project. Expertly crafted is a term that immediately comes to mind when trying to think of an adequate descriptor for their beers. I've been wanting to take a beer tour of Bend for a while and Crux Fermentation Project has pretty much sealed the deal. I want to spend some time--a long time--in their tasting room. I'm a fan!

Today, I sampled a bottle of Insider IPA. The label advises of an 8% ABV. Sterling hops and Pilsner malts were utilized. Interesting. Let's see how it does...

The beer poured into my IPA glass a slightly hazy, pale orange color. The white head was a finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. 

Aroma was citrus hops. Orange and tangerine. Earthy malt. Tropical fruit.

Taste followed the nose. Orange was the prominent citrus flavor. Lots of tropical and stone fruit. Pineapple and mango. Peach. Earthy malt flavor. Grassy, herbal spiciness in the background. Definitely a very different malt profile than most other IPA's out there.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Dry finish. Lots of malt flavor left behind on the palate.

Quite a different IPA. I'd call it a kinder, gentler double IPA. No noticeable alcohol taste, in spite of the higher ABV. Not a hop bomb, but certainly loaded with flavor, nonetheless. Good stuff, and I'm giving Insider a respectable BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment