Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Hopworks Urban Brewery - Survival Stout

"I Will Survive!"
Man, oh, man! What a slacker I am! I haven't posted a beer review in a long time! Not that I haven't been drinking beer. Plenty of that going on. I've been having some computer issues. Finally got rid of the "laptop from hell" that I've been doing battle with for the past year and a half. Got myself a brand new HP Chromebook. LOVING it, so far. Blazing fast and does everything my rudimentary computing skills require from it. Anyway, I should be able to start getting some regular posts up on this little old blog--you know, so you two regular readers can keep up with my beer-periences.

Tonight, I cracked open a bomber of Hopworks Urban Brewery's (HUB) Survival "Seven Grain" Stout. It comes with an ABV of 5.3% and 35 IBU's, according to the label. The label also advises that the beer was brewed with barley, wheat, oats, amaranth, quinoa, spelt and kamut. Interesting. The beer also contains Stumptown Organic Holler Mountain coffee. Interestinger.

The beer poured into my tulip pint a dark brown, practically black color with a thick, creamy, mocha-colored head. That head really rose up. Two full fingers thick and it dissipated slowly. Lots of sudsy, webby lacing was left behind.

Aroma was a massive whiff of fresh roasted coffee right from the get-go. Hints of dark chocolate and vanilla in the background. Lovely.

Taste was mocha chocolata ya-ya! (I always wanted to use that in a beer review.) Big coffee and cocoa flavors. Pleasant, dark chocolate bitterness but not at all harsh. Vanilla and roasted malt at the end of every sip. Lovely-er.

Medium mouthfeel with appropriately modest carbonation. Creamy finish.

Excellent, easy drinking stout with loads of complex flavors. Some coffee-flavored beers just don't work for me. Often the coffee taste is too bitter and harsh, or it's just over-the-top. This brew is just right. Delicious! I really like it and I'd certainly welcome a bottle into my fridge anytime. Survival Stout earns a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I will be looking for this one soon.

    ReplyDelete