Thursday, February 6, 2014

Crux Fermentation Project - Off Leash Northwest Session Ale

A new leash on life?
Whenever my daughter comes to Portland, she brings her old papa some beer. Hey, I'd be tickled to death to see her anyway, but a bag full o' brewskis makes her visits just that much more exciting.

Today, she brung me a bottle of Crux Fermentation Project's Off Leash Northwest Session Ale. In case you're new to craft beer lingo, a "session" beer is typically one with an ABV below 5%. A lower alcohol level means you can drink more of them, like in a session. Get it? There you go.

Off Leash comes with an ABV of 4.5%, 45 IBU's and it's brewed with Citra, Centennial and Crystal hops. I got mine in a pint bottle that was picked up at Market of Choice in Eugene, OR. The kid tells me it was on sale for $3.99. What a good shopper!

The beer poured into my tulip snifter a slighty hazy, golden orange color. The bright, white head dissipated quickly and a thin cap of sudsy lacing was left behind.

Aroma was grapefruit and pine. Tropical fruit. Pineapple and guava. Not much malt in the initial nasal uptake.

Taste was grapefruit and orange. Very mild, bitter hops bite. Pineapple. Sweet malt.

Medium mouthfeel with a dry finish. A little bit thin at the end.

This is clearly a "session" brew and what I would call a beginner's IPA. That being said, it's successful at what it's supposed to be. Probably more fitting as a summer brew. I'm sitting here drinking the stuff in the middle of a freak Portland snowstorm, so it's not working for me at the moment. Still, it is a very tasty beer. My wife took a sip and declared it "good". That's a lot coming from her. She prefers wits and hefes above all other beers and usually shuns hoppy beers.

I'm giving Off Leash a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans AND a Droolie. The dog was grooving on the smell.


No comments:

Post a Comment