Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Breakside Brewery - Salted Caramel Stout

Straight from my 'hood.
My NE Portland neighborhood is awesome. Oh, sure, lately we have the crazy NE Flasher running through our streets sans pants, but otherwise, it's a great place to live. I reside in the Alberta Arts District, a conglomeration of several old-time neighborhoods. The main drag is NE Alberta Street, where you'll find an eclectic--often eccentric--collection of art galleries, bars, restaurants, shops and a whole bunch of free-spirited denizens of the best part of the Pacific Northwest.

One of the shops located on Alberta Street is Salt & Straw. These fine folks are purveyors of some of the most tasty frozen delights on the planet. I'm talking ice cream, baby, and believe me when I tell you that the proximity of Salt & Straw to my front door is a dangerous, dangerous thing--well, for my waistline anyway.

Breakside Brewery is also located a fairly close distance from my NE Portland home. Not exactly walking distance, but no more than 10 minutes by bus. They serve up some mighty tasty beer at Breakside, and their food is top notch, too. So, what do Breakside Brewery and Salt & Straw have in common, besides a NE in their addresses? A beer, that's what! A collab! Here's what the Breakside website has to say about it:

Salted Caramel Stout: a collaboration with Salt & Straw Ice Cream. we add both sea salt and a specially made caramel to this full bodied stout. the finished beer is rich and balanced with a luscious caramel flavor in the aroma and mid-palate, a hint of salt in the finish, and a smooth roastiness. 6.8%

Well, hell! How could I NOT try that? It certainly sounds delicious.

The beer poured into my pint glass a solidly opaque black color with a creamy tan head. The head was more than a finger thick and stuck around for a long time. Lots of sudsy lacing was left behind as it dissipated.

Aroma was predominantly caramel. No surprise. Milk chocolate and just a hint of coffee. 

Taste delivered salted caramel, as advertised. However, the flavors are appropriately subtle in tandem with dark, roasted malt. Nothing cloying or artificially flavored in this brew. Bitter cocoa and coffee flavors rounded things out quite nicely.

Full mouthfeel. Very smooth and creamy going down the old gullet. It's an easy drinker. 6.8% ABV goes fairly undetected. 

I like it! Next time, I'm going to have some Salt & Straw ice cream with this beer! All in all, a nice, memorable, drink-all-the-time kind of stout. I'm giving Salted Caramel Stout a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment