Thursday, January 16, 2014

Wolf's Spicy India Pale Onions

Nothing peps up a tasty burger quite like grilled onions. I love 'em. Of course, my grilled onion recipe requires beer...and hot chiles. Hey, I ain't eatin' no wimpy onions. You gotta spice 'em up! Here's how I do it:



  • One extremely large red onion, sliced into thin rings
  • 1/4 stick of REAL butter
  • 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 - 4 dashes of Crystal hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon of lemon pepper seasoning
  • 1 medium Habanero chile, finely chopped 
  • 2 ounces of your favorite IPA
Melt the butter in a large iron skillet. Add the onion and chile and cook until they begin to soften up. Add the Worcestershire, hot sauce and lemon pepper. Cook at high heat until the onions are brown and caramelized. Add the beer and continue to cook until it evaporates. I think an IPA adds a special, hoppy, citrus-y zing and compliments the flavor of the Habanero chiles, but you could use any beer--and any other pepper, for that matter. I used Worthy Brewing Company's Worthy IPA for the batch I made tonight. Excellent IPA brewed in Bend, Oregon with a treasure trove of Oregon hops. I'll review the beer later.

Increase the amount of Habanero, if you like the heat. Leave it out entirely, if you have sad, pathetic, wussy taste buds.

This is my favorite burger topping of all time. It's an amazingly simple recipe but everybody in my house loves it. There is never any left in the pan at the end of the burger feast. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment