Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Hop Valley Brewing Company - Citrus Mistress IPA

The lady plays nice.
I gotta admit that the IPA is absolutely my favorite beer style. I get tired of other brews, but I'll never turn down an big, juicy, citrus-y, bitter, super-hoppy beer. I love the stuff, especially an expertly crafted, Northwest IPA.

Naturally, an IPA brewed here in Oregon, and with a name like "Citrus Mistress" is going to catch my attention. The beer is from Hop Valley Brewing Company and it comes with an ABV of 6.5%. The label advises that it's brewed with grapefruit peel, four different hops and has 80 IBU's. Intriguing.

The beer poured from bomber to glass a clear, golden orange color with a bright, white head. The head got up to an inch thick with some coaxing and dissipated at a moderate rate. A thin cap of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was big on citrus, that's for sure. Grapefruit and orange. Floral notes. Tropical fruit. Pineapple. Some pine-y dankness in the background.

Taste gave a good pucker of grapefruit rind right up front. Very interesting. You can really taste that peel. Respectable, bitter hops sock to the stuff but not what I'd call a hop bomb. Orange and grapefruit. Tropical fruit. Pine. Not a lot of malt showing up. I wasn't too sure I liked the flavor at first, but it really grew on me the more I drank it.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Juicy finish. That predominant citrus flavor is what hangs around at the end.

Definitely a different take on the West Coast IPA style. Pretty masterful use of that grapefruit peel. If that's the major flavor the brewer was seeking, this beer is a success. Absolutely worth a try. I'm giving Citrus Mistress a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4. No Droolie. The dog was asleep and I almost woke her up so I could see her reaction.



No comments:

Post a Comment