Thursday, January 2, 2014

Elysian Brewing Company - Split Shot Espresso Milk Stout

No snarky barista necessary...
I love a good, strong shot of espresso. (My wife makes a darn good espresso.) I also love a fine craft beer. Beer brewed with espresso? That's sounds like a match made in heaven for a guy like me. Unfortunately, I'm not always thrilled with the end product when it comes to coffee flavored beer. Sometimes, you really can have too much of a good thing.

Tonight, I'm sipping on Elysian Brewing Company's Split Shot Espresso Milk Stout. I picked up a single 12 oz. bottle at Whole Foods for $1.99. It comes with an ABV of 5.6%.

The beer poured into my tulip snifter a deep, dark brown color with a creamy, mocha-colored head. The head dissipated quickly and left a tiny ring of lacing behind.

Aroma was almost all coffee. Seriously, big on the coffee.

Taste is also full-on espresso. Just a hint of bitter cocoa. Milky smoothness came with the flavor of a creamy latte. Awesome.

Medium to slightly full mouthfeel with low carbonation. Smooth, creamy finish. Dare I say that this brew has a pleasant Frappucino-like quality? I will. It does.

I love this brew. It would seriously be a great breakfast beer. Delicious and very satisfying. I wish I had a six pack of the stuff. I'm giving Split Shot a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment