Sunday, January 26, 2014

Double Mountain Brewery - Sacre Bleu

Fetch me my beret...
Nothing thrills me more than stumbling across a brand new beer in my supermarket cold case. Well...there are a few things that might thrill me more...but not many.

Today, I discovered a pint bottle of Double Mountain Brewery's Sacre Bleu at New Seasons. I greedily snatched it off the shelf and ran for the checkout. It's a Belgian-style Dubbel with an ABV of 7.3%.

The beer poured into my tulip snifter a brownish amber color. Reddish highlights could be seen while holding the glass up to the light. The foamy, tan head rose up to about a 1/2 inch and dissipated quickly. Practically no lacing was left behind.

Aroma was Belgian spice with hints of banana and dark, over-ripe fruit. Cardamon, coriander and clove. Belgian yeast. Spicy banana bread.

Taste followed the nose. Loads of spice and bready yeast. Grape, raisin and banana. A bit of mild, lingering bitterness in background. Just a hint of alcohol.

Medium mouthfeel with appropriate carbonation. A little bit thin in the finish. The flavor kind of dropped off my palate there at the end and disappeared. Still, it was damn tasty.

Nice for an American twist on the style. The Wonder Beagle went absolutely batsh*t loony for the stuff. Tried to steal a taste right out of my glass--while I was holding it! I'm giving Sacre Bleu a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.


1 comment: