Sunday, January 5, 2014

Bayern Brewing, Inc. - Dragon's Breath Dark Hefe Ale

Dragon's Breath? Your best friend
won't even tell you...
I bought several orphan beer singles at Whole Foods the other day. Every once in a while they have something worth trying. $1.99 each. Not bad. The other day I brought home a 12 oz. bottle of Bayern Brewing's Dragon's Breath Dark Hefe Ale. That would be a Dunkelweizen. ABV was reported as 5.6% ABV.

This would be my first time sampling a beer from Bayern Brewing. They are located in Missoula, MT. Their website says they specialize in authentic Bavarian beer. Bayern means "Bavaria" in German. Hey! I knew that! I'm an authentic Bavarian, too!

Dragon's Breath poured from bottle (cool label art) into my glass a slighty hazy, reddish brown color with a creamy, light tan head. The head dissipated quickly but left quite a prodigious amount of lacing behind all over the glass.

Aroma was sweet, bready malt with some hints of dark fruit in the background. Light brown sugar. No hops smell that I could detect.

Taste was mellow, earthy malt with mild toffee and cocoa notes. Banana bread. Nice, mildly bitter end to every sip. More robust flavor than I expected from the nose.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Smooth finish. Tasty! I liked it a lot! 

The Wonder Beagle was interested in the aroma, too. Not the typical hop bomb that usually sets her to drooling, but her eyes were riveted on the glass the entire time I was drinking it. Good stuff, and I'd be interested in sampling more offerings from Bayern Brewing. I'm giving Dragon's Breath a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.


No comments:

Post a Comment