Monday, January 13, 2014

Ballast Point Brewing Company - Fathom India Pale Lager

The nautical theme continues...
San Diego's Ballast Point Brewing has made it's way to Oregon in a big way. Many of their beers can now be found in bottle shops and markets all over the state. I was at The Bier Stein in Eugene this afternoon--taking the kids to lunch--when I found quite a selection of Ballast Point brews. I picked the Fathom IPL to take home with me to taste and review.

I've tried a few other IPL's--India Pale Lagers--in the past and I haven't been massively impressed. This one comes with an ABV of 7% and 70 IBU's. It's described as combining "time-honored lagering techniques with the hop profiles of a West Coast IPA recipe." Let's see how they did...

The beer poured into my shaker pint a clear, golden orange color with a foamy, sudsy, white head. The head retention was moderate and thin, webby lacing was left behind after it dissipated.

Aroma was citrus and mild pine. Biscuity malt and light tropical fruit. Not a big smell to this beer but it had the IPA aroma profile I was expecting, albeit a bit muted.

Taste was indistinct citrus up front. Orange and tangerine. Tropical fruit with a sweet, honey-like flavor. Solid, clean malt in the end.

Medium mouthfeel with a bit of a weak finish for me. I prefer more of a bitter bite at the end and that was almost entirely absent. No alcohol taste that I could detect. It is an easy drinker. It's kind of a beginner's IPA, in my opinion. Certainly not a hop bomb.

Definitely a tasty brew and it got the Wonder Beagle's nose interested. Nevertheless, I don't think I'd hurry out to buy Fathom again. I'm giving this one 2 1/2 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.




No comments:

Post a Comment