Monday, January 27, 2014

10 Barrel Brewing Company - Project: Failed Red Ale

Failure is not an option.
Interesting, self-deprecating label on this new beer from 10 Barrel Brewing Company. "PROJECT: FAILED" is graphically plastered across what I believe is the word "NITRO". Not sure, though. Apparently, the brewer had another intention for this brew than what eventually came out of the tank. Hey, sometimes mistakes turn out fantastic. Isn't that how Post-It Notes, Maraschino Cherries, and Penicillin were invented? Colossal eff-ups gone good, if you will.

Project: Failed is a red ale with an ABV of 6.7%. I bought a sixer at New Seasons. It was on sale and I was looking for something new and different to try. Win!

The beer poured from 12 oz. bottle into my shaker pint a lovely reddish amber color. The off-white head rose up to almost a finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A full cap of spotty lacing was left behind.

Aroma was rather IPA-like. Citrus and mild pine in the initial olfactory intake. Some floral and herbal notes.

Taste was more like what I was expecting. Nice, earthy malt flavor. Very pleasantly balanced hops bitterness. Indistinct citrus. Surprisingly complex spiciness to the stuff.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Somewhat of a dry finish with tasty hops flavors left behind at the end. Great aftertaste.

I like it! Sometimes I'm sorry when I buy a full six pack of a beer I've never tasted before. 10 Barrel did not let me down. Very good beer and probably one of the best red ales I've ever tasted. The Wonder Beagle liked it, too, so a Droolie is in order, along with my 3 crushed can out of 4 rating.


No comments:

Post a Comment