Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Laurelwood Brewing Company

Great beer inside this family-friendly pub.
Laurelwood Brewing Company has several brew pubs in and around Portland, Oregon. Two of those pubs are actually located inside terminals at Portland International Airport. That's one of the main reasons I LOVE to fly out of PDX! How awesome is that? PDX awesome, that's how awesome! 

Of course, my favorite Laurelwood location is in NE Portland, on Sandy Blvd. Hey, it's in my part of town and the closest Laurelwood to Casa de Wolfgang.

The Sandy pub is Laurelwood's flagship operation. In addition to pouring world-class craft beer, they also serve up your standard pub grub: nachos, sliders, tots, etc. Happy Hour is from 3PM to 6PM and from 9PM to close. HH prices are pretty decent, too, with the regular tap list beers on sale for $3.50 a pint.

The pub is family friendly, which I know is a turn off for some folks, but I don't mind the kiddies. Come on, craft beer lovers with wee ones need someplace to go. I won't begrudge them their right to get their drank on. Laurelwood is clean, well-appointed and there's even a rugrat play area off in one corner. It's definitely not a dive bar, and I wouldn't have a problem taking my entire family there.
Workhorse IPA is a
Pacific NW standard.

Of course, the best thing about Laurelwood is the beer. I've reviewed a number of their fine brews, and you can read all about them here, and here, and here, and here. It's good stuff! 

My all-time favorite is the Workhorse IPA. I won't do a complete redux of my Workhorse review here. Let's just say that I gave it a perfect rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie. It's one of my go-to IPA's and you'll find a bomber or two at just about every party and BBQ at my place. It's delicious and priced for a working person's wallet. Seriously, I would put Workhorse up against almost any other IPA when it comes to flavor for the buck. (Hey, we should do a blind taste test!)

Laurelwood also puts out some tasty special and seasonal beers. I had a glass of their Moose & Squirrel Russian Imperial Stout last night. It was excellent and I plan on doing a full review shortly. Roasted malt and a Northwest hops zing that's unique for the style. It's no ordinary RIS!

All-in-all, Laurelwood Brewing Company is a Portland gem and a must visit brew pub for locals and visitors alike. The NE Portland pub is located at 5115 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland, Oregon 97213.

No comments:

Post a Comment