Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Lagunitas Brewing Company - The Hairy Eyeball Ale

Ya got somethin' in yur eye...
I've mentioned this before, but Merry the Wonder Beagle loves the beers brewed by Lagunitas Brewing Company above all others. Why? I have no explanation, except that Lagunitas makes some significantly potent and hops forward brews, and that's what the pooch likes to smell. Of course, it could be the handsome dog on the label. Beats me. All I do know is that if I wave an UNOPENED bomber of any Lagunitas beer in front of Merry's face, she can smell it through the bottle and the drool starts running down her muzzle like Multnomah Falls.

Today's brew review subject is Lagunitas' The Hairy Eyeball Ale. The stuff comes with an ABV of 9.4%. The price is right. I bought my bomber at Fred Meyer for $3.99. Pretty good deal for a premium seasonal.

The beer poured into my tulip snifter a reddish brown color with a creamy tan head. Lots of beautiful red hues appear when the beer is held up to the light. The head rose up to a full finger thick and dissipated slowly. This is a pretty beer.

Aroma was bready malt and brown sugar on the initial waft by the nostrils. Toffee, cocoa and ripe, dark fruit aromas. Mild scent of pie spices: nutmeg and cinnamon. Booze is present in the background.

Taste follows the nose. Caramel malt, brown sugar, toffee. Pumpernickel bread. Some citrus hops in the mix with a pleasant bitter edge. Dates, raisins and over-ripe cherries. There's a lot going on in the taste buds department. Big sock of booze at the end.

Slightly full mouthfeel and low to medium carbonation. Creamy finish. Big malt flavor is left behind.

This is a delicious brew. Merry the Wonder Beagle had her gaze riveted upon my glass the entire time, and when I took the last sip, she actually growled at me. Growled. I'm giving The Hairy Eyeball a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.


No comments:

Post a Comment