Sunday, December 29, 2013

Crazy Mountain Brewing Company - Horseshoes & Hand Grenades ESB

Close enough...
When it comes to Christmas presents, I am perhaps the easiest person on the planet to please. Just bring me some beer! Nevertheless, I have one kid who always takes on the challenge of finding beers that I've never tried before. That is no easy feat. I've consumed a lot of different beers over the years. Still, the girl has a remarkable success rate. This year, three of the five bombers she bought were completely unknown to me.

One of the mystery beers I found under the tree was from Colorado's Crazy Mountain Brewing Company. Horseshoes & Hand Grenades is an ESB (Extra Special Bitter) with an ABV of 6%. I'd never heard of the brewery before. My daughter advised that she found it at Bi-Mart for "a really good price". Ah, there's quite a sense of accomplishment knowing that my kids are good bargain beer shoppers, I'll tell you what.

The beer poured into my shaker pint a clear, dark amber color with an off-white head. The head rose up to about a 1/2 inch tall and dissipated quickly. A thin cap of spotty lacing was left behind.

Aroma was sweet caramel malt. Malt and more malt. Light brown sugar and toffee. Just a hint of citrus in the mix.

Taste followed the nose. This brew is a malt bomb. Bready, biscuity malt. Pleasant, roasted hazelnut flavor with a solid hops bitterness at end.

Medium mouthfeel with medium to low carbonation. A bit of a creamy, slick finish. Tasty.

This isn't a beer I would typically buy for myself and I was pleasantly surprised. The kid did good! I'm giving Horseshoes & Hand Grenades a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment