Sunday, December 1, 2013

10 Barrel Brewing Company - Rye'M or Treason Imperial Rye Ale

Wolf tested, Gnomey approved.
I've ranted about bottles sealed with wax in previous posts. I'll summarize by saying I'm not a fan of the practice. I find it difficult enough to locate a churchkey whenever I need to pop off a bottlecap. Good lord, please don't make me hunt down a knife to scrape wax off a bottle!

Today's brew of the evening is 10 Barrel Brewing Company's Rye'M or Treason Imperial Rye Ale. It comes with an ABV of 10.3% and according to the label was brewed with three different kinds of rye. The beer was also aged for six months in rye whiskey barrels. Was is worth the trouble getting through the wax? Let's find out...

The beer poured into my tulip snifter a slighty hazy, reddish, brown/amber color with a tan head. The head came up to about a finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A thin cap of lacing was left behind.

Aroma was sweet caramel malt, brown sugar and booze, right up front. Slightly sour, fruity aroma that reminded me of tamarind. I wish my old smeller was as good as it used to be. Lots of olfactory complexity to this one that I just can't put an adequate description on...sigh.

Taste gave a huge, boozy, rye whiskey bang ASAP. Very spicy. Pleasant heat from the booze and the rye. Raisin, tamarind and date flavors. Vanilla. I wish I still had some rye whiskey to finish this one off. So tasty. My tastebuds were doing a happy dance in my mouth.

Medium to full mouthfeel. Some slickness to this brew. Definitely an alcohol zing, but it's a good thing. Not at all harsh. Creamy finish with that big rye spiciness left on the palate at the end.

Love, love, love this beer. Lots of complexity. More delicious flavors emerged as it warmed. I'm giving Rye'M or Treason a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4. The Wonder Beagle wasn't interested in this one. That's her loss...oh, wait. Here she comes! Drool alert! Rye'M also earns a Droolie from the the most sophisticated beer nose around.


No comments:

Post a Comment