Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Stone Brewing Company - Enjoy By 12-13-13 IPA

Should say "Enjoy NOW!"
The first Stone "Enjoy By" brew I reviewed was the 9-13-13 version. In that review, I expressed my humble (and insignificant) opinion that the whole "Enjoy By" dating thing was kind of a gimmick--but I also admitted that gimmicks aren't such bad things when the results are exceptional. Hell, I'd drink a beer named Toilet Scrubber Pooper Scooper, as long as it tasted good.

9-13-13 earned a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie. The Wonder Beagle was quite taken with the aroma of the stuff.

12-13-13 is a double IPA that comes with an ABV of 9.4%. Is it any better than the 9-13-13 version?

The beer poured into my glass a clear, golden, copper color with a bright, white head. The head dissipated quickly and left a light ring of lacing behind.

As described in my prior review, aroma was big citrus hops and lots of luscious tropical fruit. Orange, pineapple, guava and passion fruit. Pine and some sweet caramel malt in the background. A nice funk to the aroma, as well.

Taste was citrus up front. Orange and grapefruit. Big tropical fruit flavors. Sweet malt taste that was perfectly offset by the hops bitterness. Some pot-like funkiness that I didn't pick up in the prior version. I like it.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. No noticeable booze in the finish of this one.

Either this is a better batch, or I'm having a better day. Doesn't matter. The Wonder Beagle went insane when I opened the bomber. She was doing her little hoppy dance and drooled up a massive puddle. Big love from the hound. I'm giving 12-13-13 a BeerGuyPDX rating of 4 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.


No comments:

Post a Comment