Sunday, November 24, 2013

Rogue Ales - Dead Guy Ale

Dead bang, right on.
I've had Rogue Ales' Dead Guy Ale so many times, I keep forgetting how much I like it. It's a dang tasty beer! It's a Maibock or Helles Bock style. I just reviewed another Maibock beer a couple of days ago. Dead Guy Ale is kind of at a different level and a superior brew, in my opinion.

I picked up a bomber of Dead Guy Ale at the little tienda down the street. I was walking the dog and got to thinking about how thirsty I was--then I remembered I had no cold beer in fridge. Something had to done about that. The Dead Guy was the only beer in the store's cold case worth drinking. The bomber set me back five bucks and some change. ABV is at 6.5%.

The beer poured into my shaker pint a hazy, honey-amber color. The off-white head came up to about a 1/2 inch and dissipated at a moderate rate. A decent amount of webby lacing was left behind.

Aroma was brown sugar, caramel and biscuity malt right up front. Notes of over-ripe stone fruit in the background. Subtle aroma of apple pie spice. Smelled nice, even from across the table.

Taste followed the nose. Lots of sweet malt. Caramel notes. Hints of hazelnut. Pleasant hops bitterness perfectly off-set the initial sweetness. Just the slightest hint of booze was present.

Medium mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Creamy finish. Earthy malt flavor and hops bitterness left on the palate.

I really like this beer. It's pretty damn perfect for what it is and a good ambassador for fine Oregon beer. This one should be getting the attention those "donut" brews are getting, I'm just sayin'. Dead Guy Ale gets a very respectable 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment