Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Fort George Brewery - North VII

A lot going on inside
this brew.
"Barrel-Aged Imperial Belgian-Inspired IPA"

That's the description printed on the label of Fort George Brewery's North VII. My immediate thought was that this is a brew that is going to be AWESOME...or a brew that tried too hard to be too many things. Of course, Fort George Brewery, in beautiful Astoria, Oregon, is one of my all time favorite brewers on the planet. They make some tasty, tasty beer. I decided to place my taste buds in their capable hands.

North VII comes with an ABV of 9%. That's pretty respectable. The label also advised that the brew was aged in American Oak Kentucky Bourbon barrels, and dry-hopped after it left the barrels. Interesting.

The beer poured from bomber into my tulip snifter a slightly hazy, orange, copper color. The off-white head rose up to a full finger thickness and looked quite creamy and clumpy. The head dissipated slowly and left copious amounts of sudsy lacing behind.

Aroma was straight up pine and citrus. Very IPA. Light tropical fruit scents in the background: pineapple and mango. Sweet caramel malt and flowery Belgian yeast.

Taste gave a big bitter bang of citrus: grapefruit and orange. Very spicy. Caramel malt and bready yeast. Pine and oak flavors permeated my palate but didn't overtake the underlying citrus hops flavor. All of the flavors really popped as the beer warmed up. Delicious.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Semi-dry finish with the citrus and pine lingering tastefully at the end.

This is a delicious beer. I admit it took a few sips for me to warm up to it, but once I started drinking in earnest, I fell in love. Merry the Wonder Beagle drooled the biggest puddle I ever saw drip from her muzzle. My gawd! I'm giving North VII a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie.



No comments:

Post a Comment