Sunday, November 24, 2013

Flat Tail Brewing - Seriously Low Budget Belgian Golden Strong Ale

The name is certainly
a mouthful...
Yeah, I'm a low budget kind of guy. I've never had much more than two cents to rub together (What exactly does that mean?) and whenever I do have a few extra bucks, I spend it on beer. Hey, you know what they say, "you can take the boy out of the trailer park, but you can't take the trailer park out of the boy." Something like that. I'm descended from a long lineage of trailer trash, let's put it out there, as if you couldn't tell.

Naturally, I was attracted to Flat Tail Brewing's Seriously Low Budget Belgian Golden Strong Ale. I bought a bomber of the stuff at Imperial Bottle Shop and Taproom for five bucks. Deal. It comes with a respectable ABV of 8%.

The beer poured into my Mason jar a slightly hazy, golden orange color. The white head made it up to about a 1/2 inch tall and dissipated quickly. Practically no lacing was left behind, but the head came back whenever I refreshed the glass.

Aroma was apple, pear and stone fruit. Fruity, Belgian yeast. Somewhat cider-like in smell. Almost like apple pie. Interesting.

Taste gives sweet malt and fresh fruit flavors. Apple, white grape and pear. Some banana notes in the background, along with a pleasant spice and mild bitterness. No real alcohol taste that I could detect.

Medium mouthfeel with lively carbonation. Finish was dry with bready yeast and pleasant malt flavors left on the palate at the end.

Perhaps not the greatest representation of this style of beer. Lots of true Belgian brews will give you way more character and flavor for your beer bucks than this one. Nevertheless, it is very drinkable and entirely unoffensive. I certainly wouldn't turn one down. I'm giving this Seriously LowBudget brew a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 crushed cans out of 4.


No comments:

Post a Comment