Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Alameda Brewing Company - Yellow Wolf Imperial IPA

AH-OOOOOOO!
It'll make you howl.
Alameda Brewing Company is the Portland brewery that is closest to my house. YEAH-AH! Representing NE Portland! It's pretty much my neighborhood brew house. They cinch the deal by offering $5 growler fills on Saturdays. And the nachos are pretty good. Oh, and the BEER is pretty dang good, too.

Tonight, I pulled a bomber of Alameda's Yellow Wolf Imperial IPA out of my fridge. How have I not reviewed this beer before? I've consumed growlers of the stuff all by my lonesome. Guess I've already dropped a spoiler there. Yes, I like it a lot.

The beer poured into my shaker pint a hazy, golden orange color with a creamy white head. The head rose up to about a finger thick and dissipated at a moderate rate. A thin cap of lacing and a good amount of sudsy web was left behind.

Aroma was lemon, orange and sweet malt. Subtle floral notes and hints of honey in the background.

Taste was an initial sweet, indistinct citrus flavor at first sip, then a big, bitter hops sock to the jaw. Pow! A lot of pine. Subtle dankness. After the hops sting wore off, an earthy malt taste lingered behind. The drinkability factor is very high with this one.

Medium mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation. Creamy finish. No real booze taste detected, despite the 8.2% ABV.

This is a great brew that can be had in my neighborhood, often at a bargain price. Local, fresh and delicious. That's what craft beer is all about. I'm giving Yellow Wolf IIPA a BeerGuyPDX rating of 3 1/2 crushed cans out of 4 AND a Droolie. The Wonder Beagle woke up from a sound sleep when I uncapped this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment